ARE YOU READY FOR WINTER?
The recent gale force winds are a timely reminder to check that your boat is ready for the winter weather.
Please find a checklist of items in helping ensure that your boat is comprehensively prepared:-
- Yachts lines are best secured tight to prevent snatching.
- Off-lines should be utilized if available.
- Appropriate rope should be used to secure your vessel and if possible double up on your lines.
- Regularly check the condition of your lines especially for chafing and signs of parting.
- An adequate number and size of fenders should be used and secured appropriately.
- Tie your fenders to the strongest available point (i.e. toe rail or base of stanchion).
- Use offside fenders in case of any failure of a mooring line and vessels coming in to contact with one another.
- Consider lowering your spray hood and lashing it down.
- Turn your vessel to face the prevailing wind.
- Make sure all covers/spray dodgers are secured and are in good condition.
- Consider removing covers and dodgers.
- Open day boats should have fully working bilge pumps or should be regularly checked and if required bailed.
- Make sure there is adequate slack on electrical leads to prevent damage to towers and leads.
- Make sure halyards are well secured and not allowed to repeatedly strike against the mast.
- Make sure sails are well secured to prevent them working loose and flogging, especially roller reefing systems.
Budget and premium fenders and warps can be purchased from the yacht chandlers.
Tel: 01492 580001